Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Sign of the Cross (1932)

2/6/07

As I didn't really care about the SuperBowl, I decided to counter-program. First I went to the monthley CES firside, which featured Elder David A. Bednar speaking about scripture study. Some may take this as a bad sign, but what I remember most from the broadcast, is the fact that the brightly colord outfits of the female choir members make them look, at a distance, not unlike a bowl of Post Fruity Pebbles cerial. After the broadcast I watched an equaly frutie Cecil B. DeMile picture, The Sign of the Cross. This movie is about the persicutions of 1st century Roman Christians under Nero. I had read a positive piece about the movie in Films of the Golden Age some time back, but was ultimatly disapointed in the film, the first half of which was boring and the second half overwrought. This movie is famous among film buffs for it infamous 'milk bath scene' featuring Claudette Colbert's clevage. The best lines in the film are spoken by Fredrick March to Elissa Landi, after the formers last minute conversion to Christianity, before joining his lover in the lion infested stadium: "I feel a strange hope, much happier now." But just image those words spoken with very little feeling.

No comments: