Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Asphat Jungel (1950)

2/2/07

I mentioned The Asphalt Jungel in a recent blog, and its appereance as a random wiki artical prompted me to give it the number one slot on my netflix list. However by the time it arrived I wasn't in the mode and didn't really enjoy the film, despite it's having an excellent cast including James Whitmore, Jean Hagen, Same Jaffe, and Marylin Monroe. I listened to the first few minutes of Drew Caspers audio commentary on the thing, and he said that the avarge viewer only catchs about 40% of the goings-on the first time through, so maybe that's why I didn't like it, though I consider myself an above avarge viewer. I've also decied I don't like Sterling Hayden in anything Kubrick didn't direct, he goes for intensity but really comes off anoying, he's still great as the crazy general in Dr. Stranglove though: "You ever heard of fluoridation Mandracke, floridation of water?"

No comments: