Thursday, September 16, 2010

Opening Night (1977)

John Cassavetes films has his real life wife Gena Rowlands experiencing a breakdown in the days leading up to the Broadway premier of a new play. I've not seen a John Cassavetes film before, though I've heard he's suppose to be good, so all I can really say is i'm just not sure how to process this film. I have the sense that it was good, but I don't think I particularly cared for it. I think I'm satisfied, maybe impressed, but mostly puzzled. I think Cassavetes intended this piece to seem disjointed, to in a sense have no clear point, I mean characters throughout the film comment how they can't quite figure out what the play (in the film) is about, so maybe its all about how stressful it is to make a play/movie or any piece of art? I don't know, I'll have to think about it, if I can bring myself too. The film does have an elderly Joan Blondell in it, so that's inherently cool. Still flummoxed, but not frustrated if that makes any sense?

No comments: