Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972)

Surrealist film from director Luis Bunuel's second French period concerns a series of unsuccessful dinner parties, drug smuggling, dreams, ghosts, and a very corrupt Latin American country named Miranda. I won't pretend to be an expert on Bunuel but I was very much impressed with The Exterminating Angel, it was one of those definitive movie watching experiences, this on the other hand I feel Luke warm about. The characters are mostly unpleasant, unpleasant things happen, and the narrative and structure of the piece is very lose and abstract. There where a few moments and characters I liked, the sexy terrorist, the Catholic Bishop who wishes to be a gardener, and the deceptively young looking maid, however I can't say I really enjoyed the experience of watching this film. Maybe I just need to sit on it awhile, it is generally considered Bunuel's masterpiece and won a best foreign language film Oscar. I remain uncertain about what happened, which I think the film intended.

1 comment:

NateDredge said...

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20000625/REVIEWS08/6250301/1023