Saturday, March 20, 2021

The Comfort of Strangers (1990)

 'The Comfort of Strangers' is a 1990/91 release based on the 1981 novel of the same name by Ian McEwan, one of his more disturbing novels in my estimation. There is an awful lot of talent here, Paul Schrader directs off of a screenplay by Harold Pinter. The small main cast centers on two couples, Natasha Richardson and Rupert Everett, Christopher Walken and Helen Mirren, the latter pair praying on the former. Slow, moody, understandably literate, beautifully shot. The film is set in Venice. I'm not sure this is really a book that should have been made into a movie, and while I could apricate much in this film, I don't know if I could ever quite enjoy it. The unsettling quality was intentional, but still unsettling. ***

No comments: