Sunday, March 7, 2021

Class of 1984 (1982)

The main reasons I decided to watch 'Class of 1984' is that it was free on Prime and that I want to watch the later film 'Class of 1999' as that is the year I graduated from high school. This is a lose series, 'Class of 1999' came out in 1990 and appears to be a kind of apocalyptical youth violence film, and 'Class of 1984' (which came out in 1982) focuses on youth violence as well. The main thread between the two films seems to be the text intro to the first that stats that fortunately not all high schools are like Lincoln High... yet. 

I didn't expect much of anything out of 'Class of 1984' other then I expected it to be bad. I was really pleasantly surprised, while it's still a form of trash I suppose, I'd have to call it high trash. It starts out as one of those inspiring teacher movies like 'To Sir With Love' or 'Lean on Me' but by the end it becomes 'Die Hard'. It becomes a kind of revenge movie, but the bloody ending is really earned, it's shockingly well done for the shlock that it is. 

Perry King and Tim Van Patten prove great foils for each other, as new music teacher and problem (to put it lightly) student respectively. Their contest of wills make this picture. There is a good supporting part for Roddy McDowell as a science teacher, and a baby faced Michael J. Fox plays one of the good kids. By no means for everybody, this is an exploitation movie that is much better then it needs to be and transcends from being a good bad movie, to just being a good movie. ***

No comments: