Wednesday, June 3, 2020

There's Something About Mary (1998)

I liked this, I thought it worked, of course that particular strain of the pseudo transgressive sensibility that is behind it was far fresher then. Enormously successful when it first came out it's most famous of course for a couple of naughty humor scenes, but the film does have heart, not a ton of it, but enough. Ben Stiller is really good in this, his shtick was fresher then to, and Cameron Diaz makes the film, I'm not a huge fan of her's but she's perfect here. It's a gross out comedy sure, but not as gross as they are now days, and I'm surprised how much that Matt Dillon and the dog scene made me laugh. There is something of the spirit of old screwball comedy to this, and I love the ending with the five suitors in the room, I could imagine Howard Hawks or George Cukor doing something like that. Also solid sound track with pop music as well as some standards by Cole Porter and the like in background scenes. ***

No comments: