Saturday, June 13, 2020

Aloha (2015)

'Aloha' reminds me why I hate Cameron Crowe. No I don't really "hate" Cameron Crowe, in fact I've liked some of  his stuff like 'Vanilla Sky' and 'Almost Famous', I even love 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' (which of course he didn't direct but wrote). 'Aloha' reminded me of 'Elizabethtown' which I think was the first Cameron Crowe movie I saw and like this one it pissed me off. It's too cutesy, and in love with its self, and there's too much going on, and arguably too many characters, and it's all over the place and the tones not consistent and it just got on my nerves. It bugged me. There are actors that I usually quite like in it and they bugged me. I thought the first two thirds kind of awful, the last third was better but it still never came together, it's really uneven and hard to put a pin down on exactly what it is trying to be because it's trying to be too many things at once. There were a few things I liked, John Krasinski's man of few words, and a scene near the end between Bradley Cooper and Danielle Rose Russell. For the most part the cast is really wasted. In lesser hands before and behind the camera this would have just been mediocre, but given the wasted talent, and its Uber Cameron Croweness it pissed me off, though not as much as 'Elizabethtown'  *1/2

No comments: