Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Friday the 13th (1980)

The bulk of this franchise is free on Prime right now so I thought I'd see how many of them I could make it through and the answer to that is one. One is about as bad as I thought number four would be, not that it's consistently violent, its surprisingly slow with most the violence near the end, sadly that's not helpful. There is a twist in this that I was aware where the killer is different then who the killer would be in the subsequent films, maybe had I not been aware of that there would have been something there where I could say 'See that's something, that' s something different'. About the only thing that I really enjoyed was a short scene where one of the camp counselors is doing a Kathryn Hepburn impression to herself in the mirror, and I just like that Kathryn Hepburn would have been a point of reference known to teens in 1980. The last 10 minutes or so of this is notably weird, pacing and tone and some of the visuals, but not enough to be worth a recommendation. It's just bad. *

No comments: