Monday, May 4, 2020

Heathers (1989)

This dark high school comedy, a box office failure upon release but now a cult classic, is just too dark for me. Think 'Mean Girls' but meaner and with murder. 'Heathers' stars Winona Ryder and Christian Slater as a high school couple who are sick of ruling cliques, most notably 'The Heathers' to which Ryder's Veronica only reluctantly belongs. One thing leads to another and a string of murders must be disguised as a string of suicides. The lead performances are good, it's pretty smart and much better written then your average teen comedy, I see what they were going for but I found it off putting in the execution, it was all just too much. I'd seen the end of this when I was in high school, I just didn't know what movie it went to. It's well done so I feel bad giving it such a low ratting but I just didn't like it. **

No comments: