Friday, November 27, 2020

Planet of the Apes (1968)

 Of course I have seen the original 'Planet of the Apes' before, many times, but even though I rarely review films I first saw prior to 2005 I did want to briefly write about it, as I am in process of going through the franchise in preparation for a future podcast. I first saw 'Planet of the Apes' when I was around 12, I went in not knowing that twist and it floored me, I was amazed by it. 

I watched much of the subsequent franchise but seldom in full. I would stumble upon a film on television and just watch it from whatever mid point that I encountered it, seldom seeing the whole thing. Through deduction and a late 90's documentary called 'Behind the Planet of the Apes' (which I also recently re-watched) I was able to fit together the outline of the larger story, and determined that it was a paradox that really needed a 6th film to fully flesh out (the original franchise stopped its theatrical films at number 5). 

I saw the bad Tim Burton version from the turn of the millennialism, and feel the more recent reboot films are pretty strong and smart. In the first film of that more recent series they briefly set up a potential reboot of the original 68' films plot (returning astronaut) which I would be interested to see them make. I also recall Oliver Stone's alleged filtration with a new 'Apes' film in the 90's to star Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The original film really holds up well, it's smart, has some interesting ideas, sold action pieces, it's exciting, and I even think the makeup holds up pretty well, not exactly realistic but it has a real charm and plays things pretty straight. Of course even the beloved twist is kind of ridiculous, the astronauts should have immediately known they were back on Earth because the talking apes spoke English, but the uninitiated just kind of go along with it as more or a less a plot necessity. The whole man cast is great and the very premise has a kind of inherent, curious appeal, I look forward to revisiting the subsequent films but acknowledge that the original will always be the best, ****.

No comments: