Thursday, November 19, 2020

Bloodsport (1988)

 'Bloodsport' is reportedly Donald Trump's favorite movie, or at least one of them. I am not making this up, you can find multiple sources for this. So I was curious and with the film currently streaming free on multiple platforms I decided to give it watch. The first thing that stood out to me is that 'Bloodsport' is one of the worst acted movies I have ever seen, and I love Roger Corman movies. The second thing that stood out to me is that 'Bloodsport' is fun, I enjoyed watching it. 

This early Jean-Claude Van Damme vehicle was produced by the predominate low rent film house of the the 1980's 'The Cannon Group', and to my surprise is based on a true story. Well kinda, very loosely, well the lead character exists. Frank Dux is a former United States Marine who claimed both to be an undercover CIA operative (the CIA denies this) and the first white man to win the "Kumite", an alleged, secret, international martial arts tournament, whose existence has never been independently substantiated. So the movie is full of baseless claims, rather Trumpian. But at lest Dux stood up to the establishment, though this establishment likely never existed. More Trumpian truthiness. 

Though ridiculous it can be fun to watch (again Trump), well mounted fight sequences and a hokey kind of charm. So I can see why 'The Donald' would like it, and I could certainly enjoyably sit through it again, which is not something I could say for another Trump term as president. **1/2

No comments: