Sunday, November 8, 2020

Georgy Girl (1966)

 I actually think I saw the very ending of this film sometime during my middle school years but was chiefly familiar with it from the great title song performed by The Seekers. 'Georgie Girl' stars Lynn Redgrave as Georgina "Georgy" Parkin, the slightly pudgy, 22 year old, virginal daughter of a London house servant, who is surprised (Georgie is) when she goes from zero to two potential romantic suiters, both of them involved with women she knows. This was a more serious film then I expected it to be, though a comedy of the swinging London school it deals with some weighty matters and melancholy and is effective as a character study. Ms. Redgrave gives a strong performance in an impressive character arc, the supporting cast including James Mason, Alan Bates, and a 19 year old Charlotte Rampling are all solid. I was really impressed, and suspect this film will warrant later re visiting. *** 

No comments: