Saturday, October 31, 2020

The Trail of the Chicago 7 (2020)

This film was made for Netflix but I actually saw it in the theater, where I was the lone person in my showing. Originally intended as a theatrical release to be directed by Steven Spielberg, he eventually dropped out and directorial duties were taken over by the films writer Aaron Sorkin, who does a capable job. 'The Trial of the Chicago 7' is the story about what was essential a show trail, the trail of what was going to be 10, then it was 8 and later 7 anti war activists accused of actively plotting and causing the riots in Chicago at the 1968 Democratic convention. 

I had been vaguely aware of this story for I don't know how long and then years ago I saw a documentary called 'Chicago 10', which included celebrity voiced computer animated depictions of actual court dialogue, it was practically a plea that a feature length film on the subject be made. It's hard to think of a more appropriate writer to take something like this on then Aaron Sorkin, our greatest dramatist when it comes to inspiring at liberal virtue. 

The film has a great cast including the newly re-relevant Sacha Baron Cohen, as well as Eddie Redmayne, Joseph Gordon-Levitt (as a redeemable prosecutor) and John Carroll Lynch (always happy to see him). The film also boasts at least two likely acting nominees come Oscar time, Mark Rylance as the lead defense lawyer, and Frank Langella as the judge (I really hope he gets the award). 

This is strong, old fashion Oscar bate stuff and I really enjoyed it, best picture I've seen so far this year, which admittingly hasn't been many. ****

No comments: