Saturday, October 3, 2020

Akira (1988)

 I'm not an anime guy, other then the films of Hayao Miyazaki or the occasional more serious subject matter like the Hiroshima film 'In This Corner of the World' it's not a genera or style that I visit often. I was however aware of 'Akira' a 1988 film that is considered a classic of it's type, so I decided to go to a revival showing at a local theater (making this only the third film I've seen in the theater since March, and the second revival showing). This takes awhile to get going but I was surprised how good it was, especially visually. 

Set in 2019 there is a lot going on here, rival motorcycle gangs, intrigue in the Japanese government, children with telekinetic powers, labor unrest, a religious cult, the aftermath of the third world war and preparations for another ill fated 2020 Olympic Games to be held in Tokyo. The whole thing, but especially the ending is worth seeing on the big screen. Apparently periodic attempts have been made at making a live action version of this story, but I don't see how they could top the visuals, best to keep it as it is, and for what it is it's ***1/2.

No comments: