Friday, February 7, 2020

Cats (2019)

I watched this whole movie and I still don't understand what a "jellical cat" is. 'Cats' is truly an odd film going experience, simply put this is a movie that shouldn't exist. So many questions ran through my mind before, during and after viewing this film. Questions such as... Why was this made? Why was this made now, so long after the Broadway run of 'Cats'? Why was it made in this motion capture CGI furry manner? It's hard to imagine what the target audience would be so who was this made for? They spent $95 million dollars on this movie, did someone actually think it would make money or is this some kind of tax rid-off? Why did I voluntary subject myself to this movie?

Watching this the look of the 'cats' is initially very disorienting, it doesn't seem right or real though eventually you get kind of used to it. Based on the Andrew Lloyd Weber musical which its self was based on a book of T.S. Elliot poems, 'Cats' is directed by Tom Hooper, who did the earlier Weber adaption 'Les Misérables' a few years back. The cast is a mix of well known names such as Judi Dench, Idris Elba and Rebel Wilson, along with theater and dance people such as the Kenyan born ballerina Francesca Hayward in the central and audience surrogate role of Victoria the White Cat.

It's a baffling film and while I can't quite explain it about half away through, right around the Skimbleshanks number, something clicked and I finally started accepting the movie as trippingly enjoyable. This isn't your same old, same old film, there is nothing like it. It's showing me things I haven't seen before and when all too much studio filmmaking is playing it too safe, 'Cats' takes risks. Plus the music is, for the most part, extremely strong and catchy, there is a reason this was Broadways longest running musical. Chalk it up as an interesting failure but it is still interesting and unique. Far far from a perfect film, but not the entire disaster I was expecting, 'Cats' is a genuine novelty and for all its flaws I would say my perception of this film is around 51% positive, so I'm gonna be contrarian and recommend 'Cats', you won't likely forget it. **

No comments: