Monday, May 27, 2019

The Little Shop fo Horrors (1960)

In preperation for a planed viewing of the better known theatrical musical I watched the original 1960 film by Roger Corman. Though I was a faithful viewer of the early 90's Fox animated TV series, this is my first viewing of The Little Shop of Horrors as a film property. The man eating plant seems perfect as fodder for a mid century B-movie but Corman and the writers approach it from such an idiocentric, wall-eyed perspective that it elevates the material from just another forgettable B-movie, to wry comic genius. Skid row, Jewish humor, Audry Jr., no budget, a young Jack Nicholson, it all works in a very strange way. I'm glade I've got the story skeleton down now as well, should make it easer to absorb the oddness that awaits me in the 80's reimagining. **1/2

No comments: