Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Boo! A Madea Halloween (2016)

I return to the Madea franchise with Boo! A Madea Halloween. This was closer to the conventional comedy that I had expected from Madea Goes to Jail. Apparently what gave birth to this movie was its use as a joke title in a Chris Rock comedy routine. Tyler Perry ran with it, though this is a not a traditional ghost and goblins Halloween movie, or even really a spoof of one. The plot has to do with Madea's grand niece snaking out of the house at 17 to attend a nearby college frat party, and the aftermath their of. There is a 'tough love' lesson about respecting boundaries, but the whole venture is considerably lighter then the earlier Madea movie I saw.

I find I'm just very intrigued by these films. I guess I like them, which surprises me more then a little, but I don't think "like" is really the right word. So far they haven't been "bad", I'm just fascinated by their uniqueness, and that they even exist. It just plops into the this world, a surprisingly developed world. No introductions needed, Madea has a large cast of supporting players who may or may not be in any one particular movie. I like the rotation. I like how its almost like a radio show, like a Jack Benny or Fred Allen program, characters are comic, broadly drawn, but can on occasion seem real, have something of an emotional life. Again I'm not quite sure how to rate this, but I'm oddly fascinated. I intend to see this movies direct sequel, Boo 2! in the very near future. **

No comments: