Monday, May 6, 2019

Fighting with My Family (2019)

Fighting with My Family tells the true story of Saraya-Jade Bevis better known by her wrestling moniker of "Paige".  Paige is a two time WWE Divas champ, which means little to me but a lot to a great many people. You don't have to be a wrestling fan to enjoy this movie however, it is a light comedy/ family drama about how a poor English girl from a small time wrestling family managed through heart and persistence to earn her big break. A pleasant film, and for me a bit of an anthropological one because I don't really understand the world of wrestling, but here is a sympathetic though far from whitewashed depiction of the same. Florence Pugh, who plays Paige, is a better actress then the role demands, and I thought the whole thing (written and directed by Stephen Merchant) was well put together and pays of in a delayed gratification way, the ending seems earned when I wasn't sure it would. **1/2 

No comments: