Thursday, November 11, 2010

Somewhere in Time (1980)

I finally saw it. The very definition of a Romantic film, its saved from being saccharine only by it exquisite handling. A strange combination of near science fiction, and 19th century style Romanticism. The cast works, the locations work, the writing (mostly) works, the direction works, and the music's just beautiful. It seems a lot of critics felt almost embarrassed by it at the time of its release and it did poorly in theaters, but the film gained quite the cult following through cable and video re-showing. I didn't entirely anticipate liking it, in some ways I think the kind of love presented in the film while very appealing in the abstract is perhaps misguided, even dangerous, but its presentation hear is so sincere and warm you can't help but be swept along by it. Did I mention I love the music? An ironic alternate title for this film might be: Add a Penny, Leave a Penny (joke only works if you've seen it) .

No comments: