Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Prisoner (1955)

In an unspecified eastern European state a Roman Catholic Cardinal (Alec Guinness) is interrogated by a former associate in the anti-Nazi resistance (Jack Hawkins) in an effort to break him, and gain a confession to false charges for the benefit of the Communist government. I really like the idea of this film, it could be wonderful as a play, or even better as a PBS style telea-play along the lines of God On Trial, towards this move however I feel a trifle mixed. It's honestly only been a few minutes since I finished the thing, and maybe that's soon to be writing a review because I already feel myself re-assessing the piece. I came away thinking it was good, but not in either of the two camps I'd initially have preferred to see it in, either something on a more epic scale like Preminger's The Cardinal, or as a series of dialogues between Guinness and Hawkins centering on ideas of faith, the state, and the like, this was something in between. Upon further reflection it really does work as a movie, well constructed, good acting and writing, it started with you kind of thinking you knew where it was going and that it wouldn't stray to far from the conventional, but it really went further, surprisingly good in fact. Sub-plot about the guard and his girlfriend never really seemed to go anywhere, and Wilfrid Lawson's jailer character I feel mixed about, but the central narrative is solid and has a more then sufficient deviation from expected course. I started writing this review too soon, I liked this film, it's better then I thought just not what I expected it to be. If anything it's flaw was that it could have been longer, I'd have liked to see it take a little more time getting where it was going. I'm gonna give it a 4 out of 5 because I was so unexpectedly impressed.

No comments: