Saturday, April 10, 2010

Wild Strawberries (1957)

Basically at this point I love everything Ingmar Bergman has done. Now it wasn't always this way, I admit his many films set in medieval Sweden can be hard to take for the novice, and I much prefer his work with a more contemporary setting, such is Wild Strawberries (named for a delicacy of a many a Swedish childhood summer). This is of course a contemplative film, set around the trip of a septuagenarian retired medical professor to accept an honorary degree at his alma mater. On that trip the professor played wonderfully by one time silent film actor Victor Sjostrom, stops at various places important to his past, and has flash backs about the childhood love who got away (and married his older brother), his late wife who cheated on him, various dream sequences where he's put on on trial for incompetence and pops a balloon version of himself. It' just wonderfully well put together, excellent acting, the tones right, in short it just works for me. Excellent stuff, recommended, the only Bergman film I think I like more is Winter Light.

No comments: