Wednesday, April 21, 2010

New in Town (2009)

Romantic comedy has Miami-based business executive Renee Zellweger move to a small Minnesota town to conduct a downsizing, only to fall for local union rep Harry Connick Jr. Ha, she's from Miami where its hot and going to Minnesota where its cold, and she's all cooperate and he's all blue collar, that alone should make you laugh this movie seemed to say. But as I watched it, I reluctantly grew to kind of like it. It's not a great film by any means, but the likable leads, and unambitious plot propel the film forward. After a while I started to think of it like an old b-picture romance, or a George Stevens comedy, only he would have cast Jean Arthur and Cary Grant in the lead parts. I also think a reason I liked this movie is that I see so few films like this, thinking that I'll hate them, which I suspect in most cases I would (no desire to see The Proposal). If I had to see all of these films like most movie critics I don't know if I'd have liked this one, but I don't so I did. A mild recommendation.

No comments: