Tuesday, May 26, 2009

With God on Our Side: George W. Bush and the Rise of the Religious Right in America (2004)

The first half of this documentary is material condensed from the 1996 PBS mini-series "With God on Our Side: The Rise of the Religious Right in America", which I had already seen. The second half covers the same material as Stephen Mansfield’s book The Faith of George W. Bush, which I have already read. So on the whole this was review for me, but a good summery presentation of the ‘religious right’s’ attempts to influence the presidency from 1960 on. I appreciate the fact that this story of evangelicals reach into the white house is told almost exclusively by evangelical players themselves; not that there’s not room for the other side of things, there most certainly is (I would like to see such a documentary), but the evangelical right often complains they don’t get a fair shake at presenting their story, and here they are given one by the reputedly highly secular PBS, and some admirably detached British film makers. I liked that. 3 out of 5.

No comments: