Thursday, May 14, 2009

Some Recent Deaths

Ken Annakin (1914-2009)

Long lived British director is best known to me for movies like Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines (1965) and The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking (1988), both of which I found quite satisfying entertainments in my younger days. His name is not the inspiration for Anakin Skywalker, George Lucas would like you to know that.

Jack Cardiff (1914-2009)

One of the greatest of all cinematographers, he was really the third man in the Powell/Pressburger creative partnership. He also worked with Ken Annakin, and they died the same day.

Beatrice "Bea" Arthur (1922-2009)

I enjoyed her character Maude in the few episodes of All in the Family I saw her in, I think I’d also probably like the series, and of course as I child of the 1980’s I couldn’t avoid seeing Golden Girls. Bea Arthur seemed like one enjoyably tough old cookie.

Dom DeLuise (1933-2009)

He was a go to man for voice work in animation during the 80’s and 90’s, but prior to that he was apparently a quite popular star. To me he’ll always be the featured player in the Don Bluth repertory company (and my six month old nephew looks a lot like him when propped up and wearing that silly hat).

No comments: