Monday, May 18, 2009

Lynch {One} (2007)

Documentary on David Lynch of the ‘follow the subject around with a video camera’ verity. Assembled from footage culled over the course of two years, we see the eccentric director as he works on his largely improvised feature INLAND EMPIRE (2006), as well as on a verity of smaller projects from photographing Polish factories, to building a desk/podium type thing in his carpentry shop. That’s one of the things I’ve always liked about Lynch, very much the renaissance man, causally moving from project to project, both large and small, as the muse takes him. Lynch also shares some amusing anecdotes about living in Philadelphia and Boise, Idaho. All filmed appropriately in a Lynchian style. 3 out 5.

1 comment:

NateDredge said...

I just watched Lynch {Two}, which is a compilation of footage from the set of INLAND EMPIRE. I think I enjoyed it more then Lynch {One}, very free form, just the director at work, and it's only 30 minutes. I'd like to show it to someone not familour with Lynch and see if they can come up with any idea of what EMPIRE is supposed to be about from this hodge-poge of clips. I've seen the movie twice and I'm not entirely sure what its about.