Sunday, May 3, 2009

Homicide: Life on the Street: Season 4 (1995-1996)

I continue my love affair with this series, somehow it just keeps getting better. Some cast transition this season, harbinger of the more massive changes I know are coming later. Reed Diamond’s is a character I grew to like, subtly quirky. With the existing cast I thought it was nice to see Yaphet Kotto out of the station house more this season (The Stakeout, The Wedding), and Clark Johnson’s Lewis character certainly got more interesting (Scene of the Crime, Full Moon, The Wedding). Many memorable episodes include Dolls Eyes (Strong performance by Marica Gay Hardin as a grieving mother), Hate Crime (episode about an alleged hate crime against a homosexual somewhat daring for the 1990's), Quirky gems like The Hat (Lily Tomlin won an Emmy for her guest work here) and Full Moon, which I can only describe as a David Lynch tribute episode. Heart Beat and the Sniper 1 &2 give us three really good ‘serial killer’ episodes, but since they’re three different killers, I wish they hadn’t followed on each other so closely, though any of those would be good introduction episodes to the series for viewers transitioning from more pedestrian cope fair. Solid as can be, I think I watched all 22 in like a week and a half. 5 o 5.

No comments: