Monday, November 14, 2022

Father of the Bride Part II (1995)

 I recently revisited 1991's 'Father of the Bride' for the first time in roughly 30 years, I thought it held up. Now for me the question was how is the sequel which I had never seen.

 The original 50's 'Father of the Bride' staring Spencer Tracey as Father and Elizabeth Taylor as Bride had a sequel, it was called 'Father's Little Divedend' and was about Taylor's character having a baby. 'Father of the Bride Part II' tries to top this in a gimmicky way with both Steve Martin's daughter Kimberly Williams and wife Diane Keaton pregnant at the same time. I worried this might result in a case of sequel over reach like in 'City Slickers II', but I thought this worked.

In fact in some ways it worked better for me the any of the other 'Father of the Bride' movies, both 50's and 90's. The film is of course a comedy, and a decent though unexectional one, but what it really has going for it is that family. The Banks's, McKenzie's and even Frank. I love them, I'm up for whatever they want to do. Since here I've known them longer as we've already been through the first one together, I love them more. This even followed through to the also gimmicky Covid era short film 'Father of the Bride Part 3ish' which you can find on YouTube. I would be totally up for a theatrical length continuation of this clans story. ***

No comments: