Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Out of Sight (1998)

 Normally my takes on films tend to line up with the critical consensus, espically if that consensus is positive. 'Out of Sight' is a rare and significant exception, 94% on Rotten Tomatos but this movie did nothing for me. It's technically well made, there are no really bad performances, but it left me cold. I found it flat, uninteresting, it contains neither anything new nor anything done particularly well. 

One of the few negative reviews I could find described it as "warmed over Quentin Tarantino", and I think that captures it. Based on an Elmore Leonard novel, Micheal Keaton reprises the role he played in the Tarantino Lenord adaption 'Jackie Brown' the previous year. There is even a Sam Jackson cameo at the end. I will say that the Clooney / Jennifer Lopez chemistry is decent, but I was both confused by and uninvested in their relationship. I liked the ending 15 - 20 or so minutes more then anything else in the film, but it wasn't enough to redeem it. **

No comments: