Friday, December 20, 2019

Teen Wolf (1985)

While I definitely saw parts of this movie as I kid I don't think I ever watched it all the way through. Their was a Saturday morning cartoon version that I remember watching, and I have a distinct memory of my dad watching it one night and being interrupted by someone at the door. Turned out to be two bored teenage kids in the ward who decided to just stop by and bug brother Dredge for a while. Or maybe they were home teachers? I remember watching the conversation and not understanding why they were their and being a bit annoyed they had interrupted my pops in the middle of a movie.

'Back to the Future' came out in early July of 1985 and 'Teen Wolf' in late August. The advertising for 'Teen Wolf' took advantage of the success of the earlier film and Michael J. Fox's tremendous popularity in it. However 'Teen Wolf' is no 'Back to the Future'. This movie takes a tremendous amount of time to really getting going, about the first half of the film passes before it really picks up, and its message and ending are kind of weak. It's very much an unexceptional 80's teen comedy in spirit, however what makes 'Teen Wolf' work is one brilliant conceit, once Michael J. Fox is publically reveled to be a werewolf everyone just accepts it without question. Their are almost no negative consequences to Fox's lycanthropism. That's just great, I loved that. Unlike Fox however I would have gone for the cute brunette from the get go. **1/2

No comments: