Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Rambo: Last Blood (2019)

Unlike the 'Rocky' movies I never really much cared for the 'Rambo' franchise, other then the first one, thought # 3 can be enjoyed ironically. 'Rambo: Last Blood' wraps things up, though it feels more out of obligation then need. This is a dark, unhappy movie, a real downer whose excessive violence is depressing, not even enjoyable in an over the top Tarantino sort of way. Not to give away too much of the plot for those who might want to see it let me just say revenge has a role in the proceedings. Though the inciting incident might be best to go in somewhat unaware I will tell you the ending involves Rambo booby-trapping a series of tunnels under his south Arizona ranch, like a far more sadistic 'Home Alone'. There are instances of violence in this movie where it ran through my head 'You know I'd never thought of that but I suppose you could do that to a human body'. Competently enough made like some other 'Rambio' films in does touch on some matters of seemingly current interest, such as the drug and human trafficking situation in Mexico, but there are better films and series about those things such as 'Sicario' and 'The Bridge'. Paz Vega is in this, she doesn't have that much to do, her's is a career that never meet its full potential, and I feel that same about this 'Rambo' movie, if they were going to give this character a farewell, I wish their had been more to it. *1/2

No comments: