Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

For me this just couldn't live up to the first Avengers movie. That first movie was like nothing I'd ever seen before, it was four franchises converging into one movie, its scale was epic, it was a Marvel comic book on the big screen, not too dark, and just goofy enough. Age of Ultron replicates this, and does that well, its just not new anymore, we've seen it. Frankly I was hoping for more, the movie introduced some interesting new characters, and had the required action set pieces, I particularly liked the ending one, but it wasn't the joy that the first movie was. It felt like what it is, one issue in a cinematic graphic novel, and not a stand out issue at that, one that mostly serves to pave the way for hopefully more interesting later editions. That's not to say that movie wasn't fun to watch, and didn't have some interesting ideas and moments, though I thought it rather weak on the character development front. The movie even had James Spader voice Ultron, which is a plus. Still Avengers: Age of Ultron was for me just another summer blockbuster, diverting but not challenging, or even innovative. ***

No comments: