Wednesday, May 20, 2015

And Then There Were None (1945)

The first of several cinematic adaptations of one of Agatha Christie's most popular works, I'd seen I think the 1974 version once, in middle school, so I was vaguely familiar with the plot, though had forgotten the details in the subsequent 20 years, I'd even forgotten who the murderer was. It's kind of like the game of Clue, there is a murder at an isolated mansion, and you gradually wither down the suspects, in this case as characters keep dying they gradually diminish the number of possible culprits. I won't say much about the plot, but I will say there are bunch of good character actors here like Barry Fitzgerald, Walter Huston, and Judith Anderson, so its fun to watch them do there thing. A pleasant watch, nice atmosphere, kind of ridicules story, but one that has become a popular classic for genera fans. If you haven't you should probably watch some version of this, both for cultural literacy and because you'll probably like it, its a crowed pleaser. ***

No comments: