Monday, February 16, 2009

The Reader (2008)

I recently had the pleasant experience of coming out of a local theater and knowing that I had just seen the best picture of last year. Far and away over 2008’s other contenders for the coveted Best Picture Oscar, The Reader moved me. More then the Hollywood conventional Benjamin Button, more then the cause celeb Slumdog Millionaire, both of which are fine films; The Reader was such an astoundingly well executed and riveting emotional journey, that I was just awed. It is the journey of one Michael Berg, played as a young man by the fine German actor David Kross (who learned English for the role) and later in life by the always fascinating Ralph Fiennes. It is a journey that is circumscribed by Berg’s ultimately decades long ‘relationship’ with the enigmatic Hannah Schmidt (Kate Winslet in the performance destined to win her an Oscar). The plot is somewhat complicated and thusly is best introduced by the films theatrical trailer, beyond which I wouldn’t want to say much. Only after seeing the film did I make the connection that it had been directed by Stephen Daldry, whose 2002 film The Hours I had found similarly enveloping and powerful, as well as tonally similar. The masterpiece of the year, certainly the film I would be casting my ballot for where I an academy voter. 5 out of 5.

No comments: