Monday, February 16, 2009

Magnificent Obsession (1954)

Douglas Sirk first teamed Rock Hudson and Jane Wyman in this widely successful melodrama based on the book by Lloyd C. Douglas. Playboy and medical school drop-out Hudson inadvertently contributes to the death of Wyman’s saintly doctor husband. Later Hudson is accidentally responsible for Wyman’s going blind, and thusly stricken by a combination of guilt and lust (later love), he pursues her romantically under an alias, secretly pays for her living and medical expenses, and later becomes a neurosurgeon just in time to save her rattled brain.

Now one of the more interesting ongoing debates in the world of cinemaphiles is between those who think Sirk a subtlety supervise genius, who used melodramatic conventions to cast a cynical eye on a surficy time, and those who think he was just an exquisite purveyor of schlock. My experience with this film lead me in both directions. On my first viewing I was completely drawn in, I bought the whole thing and it seemed powerful drama, but on my second viewing (thank God I watched it twice), all the schlock seemed to come out and I realized what a schmaltzy, even ridicules piece of melodrama this film is. Sirk managed to trick me, which proves he was talented, as he sold me a load goods. I brought the car home only to realize it was all spit and polish of presentation, its story a tortured lemon. Whether this means Sirk was an artistic genius, or just a brilliant conman I don’t rightly know, most likely a bit of both, which if you think about it is really what every successful studio system autor had to be.

As befits a movie based on a book by a Congregationalist Minster, Magnificent Obsession is filled with Christian undertones, many of them provided by the kind of fascinating performance of Otto Kruger, whose serine artiest character can be seen as a stand in for God, the Holy Sprit, the Apostle Peter, or even director Sirk himself (the two were known to have something of a physical resemblance). Sirk regular Agnes Moorhead is here too as a loyal but somewhat stern nurse, and of course the cinematography is rich and beautifully done by Russell Metty . If you see one Sirk helmed Hudson/Wyman romance make it the deeper and more culturally significant All that Heaven Allows, still for high end camp little could top Magnificent Obsession. 4 out of 5.

No comments: