Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Ratatouille (2007)

Brad Bird’s a genius, so if he want’s to make a film about a rat who wishes to be a chief, I’ll watch it, and I’ll enjoy it. Watching the films of Bird you get a strong sense of his personal philosophy, a philosophy that extolls talent and the unique individual. Though set in France its something of a Hortio Alger tale in a which a country rat rises above his station to become the much sung top chef in Paris, at first through a good natured surrogate, and later on terms more uniquely his own, or at lest as much so as a rat can have, even in a Disney cartoon. Watching Remey (excellently voiced by Patton Oswalt) steer his surrogate by the hair in jerky limbed fashion is quite funny. Likable, endearing film had me laughing semi-frequently, not something I do that often. Four out of Five. This movie made me hungry.

No comments: