Saturday, April 26, 2008

Shakespear in Love (1998)

Revisionist spin on the life of the great English playwright depicts the writing and first performing of Romeo & Juliet as though it where a Shakespearean play, complete with love story, swashbuckling, revenge, cross-dressing, buffoonery and ‘fancy talk’. The whole time I felt a little distant from the proceedings, as though the movie was a self congratulatory offering from thespians and Shakespear buffs to other thespians and Shakespear buffs. Though I believe this is largely the case I can not say this is not a good movie, for its certainly cleaver and has a few moments, but the self involvement of the whole enterprise did turn me off. Ultimately I’m torn by the film and give it a 2 ½ out of 5 rating, because I honestly didn’t like it, but recognize that it was well made. This certainly shouldn’t have beaten Life is Beautiful and Savings Private Ryan for the Oscar.

1 comment:

Jax said...

Here, Here! Life is Beautiful and Saving Private Ryan were both hosed that year, and in that order.