Monday, October 30, 2023

Suspiria (2018)

 It's rare, in my estimation, for a remake to be of similar quality to the original, typically the two film versions of 'True Grit' are my platonic reference point for this phenomna, but I must say that the remak of 'Suspiria' comes pretty close to that rarified company.

I think I'll always like the 1977 original a little more, because of how it looks, because of the originally, because it was my introduction to Dario Argento and because of Jessica Harper. The 2018 'Suspiria' is so different from its predecessor that "remake" isn't really the best word for it, "re-imagining" better captures the gist.

The 2018 'Suspiria' is the directorial debut of American screenwriter David Kajganich, I've not seen anything else he's done but it appears he works mostly in horror. The skeleton of the original film is kept, at least towards the beginning, but the lead girl (this time played by Dakota Johnson, who I think looks surprising good as a redhead) has her previously scant backstory changed and expanded; a minor psychologist character is substantially reworked and given a much bigger part, some supporting characters from the first film are dropped but the mid 70's West Berlin setting is kept and some real period historical events are woven in as counterpoint. While not as rich and exaggerated as in the first film, the visuals here are still distinctive and strong. The cast is also full of rather stronger actors then the original.

I hesitate to say much about the plot, at least as it varies from the original. Again, a new girl has come to the prestigious old dance academy, she finds odd goings one and we follow her reactions, but so much is different. These differences fascinate me, particularly a change in one of the characters that makes me want to rewatch the film, with an eye to spoting when exactly that character makes a very important decision.

I found this 'Suspiria' to be gripping and weird and unexpected, scary in a way even more cerebral then it's predisascor. One of the three or so most artistically impressive horror films I've seen in the last 10 years. ****


No comments: