Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023)

 'Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny' is the 5th and at this point all but assuredly final, Harrison Ford Indiana Jones film. People had concerns about Spielberg not directing (though James Mangold is a more then solid directing talent) and the presence of Phobe Waller-Bridge because sarcastic woke Millenial, however I liked it, I had a good time.

It's not the strongest in the franchise by a long shot, and often (but not always) plays it safe. It's formulaic, but these films are by nature, it's part of why we come. Action set piece, exposition, action set piece, character moment, action set piece. It has the mechanics down and I think largely had the spirit down. 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' had sequences which I felt ran far too long, I didn't have that feeling here. The deep faked younger Indy sequence at the beginning came very close to pulling that off, but 80 year old Harrison Ford's voice coming out of 40 year old Harrison Ford's face, well that is noticeable. On the whole though I recommend it. ***

No comments: