Wednesday, March 15, 2023

You Light Up My Life (1977)

'You Light Up My Life' is a great song, an Oscar winner, I've loved it for a long time. The Debby Boone version was #1 on the Billboard popular charts for 10 weeks in 1977. On screen Didi Conn is just adorable as (Kasey Cisyk dubbing) she belts it out with that orchestra, movie magic. That and one other musical number excepted 'You Light Up My Life' is a terrible movie.

The film is just awful. Trit, cliche, dull as hell, unfunny, at times just uncomfortable. Conn plays a struggling actor/singer/comic about to marry a boring tennis instructer, when she has a one night stand with a man who turns out to be an important film director; her personal and professional life is about to take a dramatic turn and then he flakes out on her. Didi is going to have to seize her dreams on her own, regardless of what her vaudeville comic dad or any of the dreadfully uncharsmatic men in this film have to say about it. This may be the worst movie to ever win an Oscar, it is staggeringly flat. I'm just amazed how bad this was. I finished watching it mostly out of spite. I hated this. Dreadful. *

No comments: