Monday, April 18, 2022

Princess Mononoke (1997)

25th anniversary of this film, the Japanese version, the English dub came out two years later. This was back in the theaters the other week and I had planned to see it but other things interfered. So I decided that I'd watch this and a few other of the Miyazaki classics I hadn't seen before in the coming weeks. These movies are kind of hard to get at now, I think they are exclusively through HBO Max, otherwise you have to buy them for like $20 dollars, for me that is to much for a digital copy, so taking advantage of old school DVD Netflix, yes I still subscribe to that service. However this film is very good, I wish I had seen it at the theater. 

The story is about a conflict between God's and men, there is a heavy environmental bent to the film, which seems fairly common to Miyazaki. Also common to Miyazaki is there isn't a traditional villain, here we have a group of players with various sometimes overlapping, sometimes competing agendas and priorities. Again with Miyazaki there is a very developed sense to the mythological world, despite its being basically original. I marvel at the mans ability to construct worlds, and this is a fascinating one. The story well constructed, it hits all the epic and mythic beats it needs to hit. Excellent voice cast as well. Really a joy to watch, I hope to revisit. ****

No comments: