Friday, April 15, 2022

Night School (1981)

 Someone is going around and chopping the heads off Boston co-eds, a Harvard educated detective and his streetwise Armenian-American partner investigate. There is a philandering anthropologist, a sexy but high strung British teachers assistant, and a predatory lesbian dean. Oh, and we get a scene where a head is found in some soup. It's not great, and if anything it gets less good as it goes on, but what endeared me to it, and it's something that could just of likely turned me off, is how it was stimulatingly trying to be two incompatible things. This movie wanted to be both a psychological thriller of some sophistication and insight, and cheesy exploitive slasher film, the shifts between these tones amused me, but could just as likely pissed me off. I was obviously in the right movie for this when I saw it. **

No comments: