Sunday, November 21, 2021

Clifford (1994)

'Clifford' is that film where a 40 year old Martin Short plays an obnoxious 10 year old boy. The movie was actually filmed in 1990 but got held up in release by the collapse of Orion Pictures. A notorious bomb both with critics and audiences, Roger Ebert who hated the movie said it might actually be worth seeing because it fails in such a unique way. So I went in with extremely low expectations, which this movie easily surmounted. Sure the film is stupid, and makes all sorts of strange creative decisions, but honestly I laughed a lot. I thought the framing story strange and likely tacked on, and the ending even more bizarre then the bizarreness that proceeded it. However when Clifford is driving Charles Grodin to breakdown, it worked for me. Mary Steenburgen and Dabney Coleman play lazily to type, but if you approach the film as intentional self satire it has an odd charm. I'm gonna give it **. 

No comments: