Sunday, September 12, 2021

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)

 I came into 'Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings' with low expectations, it's not a property I'm familiar with and what little I'd heard about the film critically was that it was just okay. Those low expectations where doubtless a factor, but Shang-Chi has proved to be easily my favorite of the three post 'Endgame' Marvel movies so far. It doesn't even feel all that much like a superhero movie until near the end, more like a marital arts, family/crime drama that happens to be set in the MCU.

With it's strong cultural ethnic element the obvious point of reference here is 'Black Panther', which is the better movie, though this one wasn't bad. The film even boasts the return of a largely forgotten figure from an earlier film which proved to be the character return I didn't know I wanted. Some people find Awkwfina to be a little much, but I think she dialed it down enough that it works here. Simu Liu is a little bland, but a likable enough lead. ***

No comments: