Saturday, September 4, 2021

Only the Brave (2017)

 This movie was recommended to me by my 12 year old nephew. 'Only the Brave' is based on the true story of a group of heroic Arizona fire fighters in the early 2000's. The film focuses principally on two narratives, Miles Teller's Brendan McDonough and Josh Brolin's Eric Marsh, both recovering addicts who found a salvation of sorts in battling wild blazes. A mixture of family drama and fire fighting sequences, there is something to be said for the straight forwardness of the story, and the basic earnest goodness of the characters. While from our collective childhoods fire fighters are among the most iconic of self sacrificing hero's they seldom get movies, and even more seldom are those movies memorable. A fitting tribute, this movie really does justice to those it portrays. ***

1 comment:

hortinthewho said...

I was caught off guard by this film. I thought I knew which event the film covered, turns our I mixed up a different event. As a result I found myself not ready for the ending. Effecting story, interesting to see it portrayed in film, wish it translated slightly better. Solid film, I agree with your *** rating.