Sunday, June 6, 2021

Knowing (2009)

 'Knowing' quite surprised me, I really enjoyed it, it was a "big grin movie" by the end. A time capsule buried at an Massachusetts elementary school in 1959 is opened in October 2009, amongst its contents is a list of numbers that accurately predict the dates, corrodents, and casualty totals of major disasters, including 9/11. Or so determines an MIT astrophysicist played by Nicolas Cage into whose possession the paper comes, by accident or design, that is the question. 

We now enter, in a vague way, spoiler territory, but I was really impressed how this piece stuck to it's guns. It's a dark, pessimistic mode piece, that reminded me of early Shyamalan, though there is much of both the Bible and early 50's "message" sci-fi here like 'When Worlds Collide' and 'The Day The Earth Stood Still'. Heck even the name of the elementary school 'William Dawes' is a clue. There is arguably some triteness to the very end, and there are things that worked for me here of a similar nature to things that absolutely did not work for me in Aronofsky's 'The Fountain'.  Kudos to Egyptian born filmmaker Alex Proyas for his powers of subversion. ***1/2

No comments: