Friday, June 18, 2021

In the Heights (2021)

I really enjoyed 'In the Heights', I enjoyed it a great deal more then I anticipated. Subsequent to viewing I become aware of some controversy regarding casting, and the editing of certain plot lines (films a different beast then a stage musical, and I don't know how much beyond it's current 143 minute run time the thing could have born). Being unfamiliar with the source material this had no impact on my viewing experience.

This is a wonderful movie, you feel good. It's an ode to community. A saga of the immigrant experience. A pion to Washington Heights, a New York City neighborhood I don't think I was even aware of until I started seeing trailers. From the kenotic joy of the musical number at the public pool, to the pathos of an elderly Cuban woman's lament for her late mother. There were times when it unexpectedly made me think, and in the end I left feeling both full and hopeful. Best movie of the year so far. ****

No comments: