Sunday, May 16, 2021

The Other Side of Heaven 2: Fire of Faith

 Sequel to 2001's 'The Other Side of Heaven', 'Fire of Faith' is based on further memories of John H. Groberg, an LDS general authority. The first film focused on his missionary labors in Tonga in the early 1950's, the second his return to Tonga as a mission president in the later half of the 1960's. Christopher Gorham returns as John, and English born New Zealand raised actress Natalie Medlock takes over the role of his wife Jean Groberg, which had been played by a pre-star Ann Hathaway in the first film. 

The original film was the first movie I saw in the theater after returning from my LDS mission in early 2002, my brother who has since passed on took me. I saw that movie a number of times there after and even saw the real Groberg speak once, but it's been over 10 years since I've seen that film and I kind of wish I'd watched it again before viewing the sequel because I know a missed a lot reference wise because it just wasn't fresh in my mind. 

This is a good natured story focusing on the medical problems of the Grobergs 5th child, born while they were on the islands, and the strained relationship between a local Methodist minister and his Mormon convert son. This film is simultaneously more Mormon (the first movie really played down religious distinctiveness as it was distributed by Disney) and more ecumenical then the first film (miracles on both sides ect). 

There are early scenes in the movie featuring Groberg as an LDS Bishop in mid 60's Idaho Falls, and I'd kind of like to see a film focused on Mormon Bishop in the 60's. Thomas S. Monson, who was Grobergs immediate Church superior in his second missionary sojourn and would go on to be president of the Church is featured as a character in this movie. Australian born actor Russell Dixon looks remarkably like him, and the part is played as unexpectedly mischievous. **1/2 



No comments: