Sunday, September 13, 2020

She Done Him Wrong (1933)

 I had never seen a Mae West movie before so I decided to fill that gap in my cinematic knowledge with one of her best known films. 'She Done Him Wrong' is West's second feature film, based on the play of the same title by West the story centers on a night club singer in the 1890's (West of course) as she juggles at least 4 men and makes various sexual innuendos, this is very much a film of the pre code spirit. Kind of hard to categorize, it's a comedy but has some serious elements, including multiple murders, one accidental, and a sub plot about a sixteen year old girl lured into the world of prostitution. At 66 minutes this is the shortest movie ever nominated for a best picture Oscar, though the version I saw clocked in at an hour and two minutes so I'm curious about what's in the missing four, I assume they were removed for theatrical re-release during the period of production code enforcement. Also featuring a young Cary Grant, this is the film from which the oft misquoted line "Come on up some time and see me" originates. ***

No comments: