Saturday, September 26, 2020

Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

 'Phantom of the Paradise' is Brian De Palma's visually striking Pastiche of 'The Phantom of the Opera', 'Faust', 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show', 'A Star is Born', classic horror films, movie musicals, Phil Spector, Karen Carpenter, celebrity culture, the record industry and on and on, and it's kind of great. This cult film has a bit of a reputation, I thought it would be interestingly bad but I rather enjoyed it, including the music which I know doesn't work for everyone but I'm a big Paul Williams fan, who both wrote some songs and is in this, top billed even. William Finley and an adorable Jessica Harper round out the main cast. This is a movie I could probably go on about for some time, but if your at all eclectic in your film taste you really should just see it. ***

No comments: